Protected by Copyscape Protected by Copyscape Protected by Copyscape

Spotify Podcaster

My Pain, My Joy

Emily Faith's 2nd bday
It was during my seven (7) months of pregnancy that I had come to know that my baby has a congenital defect. It was seen during the ultrasound test that she is hydrocephalic. When the doctor told me the baby’s condition, it was as if my whole world suddenly stopped. In all those remaining weeks of my pregnancy, I had to undergo a series of ultrasounds and was really shaken to find out that her spine is curved. Worse came to worst, my baby's back is not fully developed when she was born and she needs to undergo an immediate operation to close her back as well as to insert a shunt on her head at that time.
Life has not been that easy for us, but there is a life that has to be carried on. Though doctors told me she wouldn't have good mental development, it was unfair for my baby not to let her be given a chance to see the light of this world. God is the only One who could get back what He has given.
weeks old, before the surgery
My daughter has been diagnosed with myelomeningocele or a syndrome of  Arnold Chiari malformation II. My little cuddly baby who was only 5 lbs more had undergone two (2) types of operations when she was barely a month old. One in the head for the shunt and another on her back to repair her lumbosacral. As she was growing, there is no trace that she has mental retardation as doctors had insinuated when she was still inside my womb. Now that she is four (4) years old, it pains me to see her moving from one place to another though with some limitations, because she wouldn't be able to walk due to damaged nerves in her lower extremities.
But in all of these, I have been thankful to the Lord for the special gift He has given us. We have given her the name Emily Faith Princess, after my name, and because through faith, impossibilities had become possibilities. Though there are therapies and medications needed for her to stay healthy, she’s giving us joy and laughter. That baby girl who has limitation in her movement never give us limitation for the joy, sweetness, and embraces she's always giving us.

1 comment:

  1. I am sending you lots of good vibes! What a beautiful girl!

    There is a book called "Teach Your Baby to Read" by Glenn Doman in which he describes how some of the tiny children who made him realise that humans can read much earlier than he had thought (even though actually this had been known by some people generations earlier) were physically disabled children whom medics had thought were unlikely to learn stuff at a normal age let alone much younger.

    My thoughts are with you. Love can achieve a very great deal in this world.

    ReplyDelete

I would appreciate comments and post links related to my blog post. Feel free ..~ EmperatrizV on April Brews